Saturday, September 27, 2014

Firsts

I had a few firsts this morning with Baron on our morning ride.  First off, I decided to switch him to a full-cheek snaffle.  There is often an argument between English and Western riders concerning this bit.  If you are riding English, this bit is most often used with bit keepers.  Bit keepers change the action of this bit, applying pressure across the bars and tongue in a horses mouth.  It's important to note that if you do use keepers with this bit, the bit must sit lower in the mouth then when going without. Western folks don't tend to use the keepers.  In this case, the bit works the same as a d-ring snaffle and helps provide lateral directional aids.  It's a very mild bit overall.  One advantage to not using the keepers is the full-cheek is difficult to pull through a horses mouth.  The disadvantage is it is quite easy to catch the full-cheeks on things - including your belt if your horse likes to rub on you.

Full-cheek snaffle, photo courtesy http://www.sprucewoodtack.com/
Baron was quite pleased with this bit.  He was very light and responsive and I'm glad I made the change.  He had been in a slightly stronger bit with a mild curb action just for safety reasons, but neither one of us was happy with it.

Our second first was the fact that Baron is now sporting a rather stylish pair of front shoes.  I've been noticing that his front hooves were getting pretty chewed up over the rocky ground we have here.  He stood like a champion for the farrier while these were getting put on.
New shoes make his feet look tiny.  The farrier had to use size 4 for him.
Our third first (haha) answered a question that had worried me for some time.  What would happen if we ran into another rider while out on the trail.  Would Baron keep minding me?  Or would he try to run to the other horse?  I'm glad to say he minded very well, let me turn him away from the approaching rider, and stood quietly while we gossiped about trips to Alaska and the lousy weather we've had in Arizona.
Neighbor Ron on his pretty little paint mare.

Following behind.
I'll admit, it was a pleasant laid back morning for both of us.  Baron is getting used to our early morning rides.  We are both getting back into shape for the winter riding season here in AZ.  My plan this year is to use Baron as my main riding horse, and if rides keep going this well, it will turn into a fantastic season!

10 comments:

  1. I learned to ride Western and then switched to dressage as a teenager (they're actually very similar, training-wise), so I never learned to use bit keepers on the full-cheek. I only use them for horses that open their mouth and for lunging/long-lining.

    I've never seen a Friesian in Western gear before. Wow! That looks sharp! I love the brown on black look, so much prettier than the monochromatic dressage gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shannon! I occasionally ride Baron in the more traditional tack, but I think they look very pretty in Western! Thanks for reading our blog!

      Delete
  2. Nice to read all about Baron and gosh he reminds us of Lloyd who we use to ride but he was such a monkey. Have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see I'm going to learn an awful lot about horses :-) Other than they try to suck my fingers when I go to stroke them :-) x x x Beautiful Baron X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what fun! We met riders on the horse trails at Grayson Highlands two weeks ago. One of the horses was so friendly - he actually nuzzled me and his rider said I could pet his nose! Interesting about your new bit. I remember learning decades ago what the bit does and being so worried about hurting the horse (as I said, I had a great instructor for my riding lessons).
    Will you be added a follower button soon? I use Networked Blogs and Google Follow. Email subscription doesn't work well for me - blog reading and checking email are two separate activities for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Even if Harlow isn't sure about it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy mates. Look forward to reading more about your horses. Baron is gorgeous.
    No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day of firsts!! :D I'm glad he likes his new bit and shoes. The angle on the picture of his feet make them look so upright! He doesn't look like he has a toe lol. I love his feathers. Congrats on him successfully meeting another horse out on the trail. With the way Chrome acts just walking past horses in their pastures makes me terrified to meet someone actually out riding LOL!! I'm so happy you decided to blog about Baron! Oh and I totally keep forgetting how young Baron is! He's only a year older than Chrome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We sure have a lot to learn about horsies. We're just glad that we don't have to wear that in our mouths!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three things... (1) The Mom had a horse a long long time ago when the world was flat. She named him Holy Smoke. And he was a character. So many wonderful and fun memories. (2) I am stuck on the second sentence... but I read it as a cheek full of Snapple. I love Snapple. And (3) Baron!!! What adorable feetsies you have, my man!!!

    with love from Little Reufus (and the Mom, of course)

    ReplyDelete